It is expected that all students will do the following:
- Attend every period of every day, except for excused absences. The student should be in his/her seat, with all required materials ready to begin work, before the tardy bell rings.
- Complete all class work and homework assignments.
- Maintain appropriate behavior at all times while going to school, during school, attending school activities, during lunch, and while going home.
- Respect others; respect all private and public property.
- Do as directed by any and all district employees at any activity on or off campus
The following rules have been established to provide a safe, clean, and orderly environment for all students and staff in the South Monterey County Joint Union High School District. These rules apply inside and outside the classrooms and at all school functions. Any violation of these rules may result in a referral that is sent to the school administration.
- Students may not display romantic affection by hugging, kissing, or inappropriate touching on campus.
- No congregating in or around areas in such a way that it impedes traffic or interferes with the rights of others to use facilities.
- No name calling, vulgar, obscene, or profane language.
- No bicycle riding, skateboarding, or roller-skating is allowed on campus at any time.
- No food, gum or drinks are allowed in class.
- No “roughhousing,” play fighting, pushing, shoving, or throwing of objects.
- No cheating. (This includes forging signatures, changing grades)
- Cell phones, music players, and all other personal electronic devices my not be used in class. (Cell phones must have the power turned off during class time.) These items may be confiscated and held in the office. If confiscated more than once, consequences may follow. We recommend all electronic devices to be left at home. School is not responsible for lost or stolen devices.
- All students must have an appropriate pass to be out of class at any time during school hours.
- Students are not allowed to leave the school grounds without first being signed out at the attendance office. Leaving school without permission is a violation of state law.
SEXUAL HARASSMENT/HATE CRIMES
South Monterey County Joint Union High School District has adopted Board Policy 4119.11 that pertains to Sexual Harassment and Hate Crimes. The policy is inclusive for everyone in the school setting. It is our belief that all students and district employees should expect a school environment free of harassment of any kind. A concise summary of this policy is located in the office of the principal.
SEARCH AND SEIZURE
School officials may search an individual student and his/her property when there is reasonable suspicion that the search will uncover evidence that a student is violating the law or rules for the district or the school. Such searches may include, but are not limited to, desks, lockers, book bags, and the person of the student. When necessary, staff shall use a metal detector or breathalyzer when searching an individual for weapons and/or controlled substances. In addition, specially trained dogs may be used in searching for illegal substances. Video surveillance may also be used as evidence.
CONFISCATION OF PROHIBITED ITEMS
All prohibited items will be confiscated. Some confiscated items are returned to the student at the end of the day, while other confiscated items may be returned to a parent or guardian, or not at all. Items that are illegal are handed over to either the Greenfield Police Department or the King City Police Department. Confiscated items, which may be returned, should be claimed at the Attendance/Discipline Office. All unclaimed confiscated items will be discarded after twenty (20) school days. Unclaimed items confiscated during the last twenty days of school must be claimed by June 30, or they will be discarded.
Note: Video surveillance may also be used as evidence.