Absentees, Temp. Instruction & Enrollment Options
Specific School Request: Parents have the right to request a specific school and to receive a response. Such a request does not obligate the school to grant the request. Education Code § 51101(a)(6).
Absence for Religious Exercises: Permissive absence may be granted for governing board approved religious exercises or instruction if a pupil has attended at least the minimum school day. Education Code §§ 46014; 48205.
Excused Absences: No pupil will have his/her grade reduced or suffer a loss of academic credit on account of an excused absence when missed assignments and tests that can reasonably be provided are satisfactorily completed within a reasonable period of time. An excused absence is defined in Education Code section 48205 as an absence:
- Due to his or her illness.
- Due to quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer.
- For the purpose of having medical, dental, optometrical, or chiropractic service rendered.
- For the purpose of attending the funeral services of a member of his or her immediate family as defined
- in the Education Code, so long as the absence is not more than one day if the service is conducted in
- California and not more than three days of the services is conducted outside California.
- For the purpose of jury duty in the manner provided for by law.
- Due to the illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child of whom the pupil is the
- custodial parent.
- For justifiable personal reasons, including, but not limited to, an appearance in court, attendance at a
- funeral service, observance of a holiday or ceremony of his or her religion, attendance at religious
- retreats which shall not exceed four (4) hours per semester, or attendance at an employment
- conference, when the pupil’s absence has been requested in writing by the parent or guardian and
- approved by the principal or a designated representative pursuant to uniform standards established by
- the governing board.
- For the purpose of serving as a member of a precinct board for an election pursuant to § 12302 of the
- Elections Code.
A pupil with an excused absence shall be allowed to complete all assignments and tests missed during the absence that can be reasonably provided and, upon satisfactory completion within a reasonable period of time, shall be given full credit therefore. The teacher of any class from which a pupil is absent shall determine the tests and assignments shall be reasonably equivalent to, but not necessarily identical to, the tests and assignments that the pupil missed during the absence. Education Codes §§ 45194, 48980; 48205; Elections Code § 12302.
Home Instruction: Except for pupils receiving individual instruction provided pursuant to a school district or county office-sponsored program, a pupil with a temporary disability which makes attendance in the regular day classes or alternative education program in which the pupil is enrolled impossible or inadvisable shall receive individual instruction provided by the school district in which the pupil is deemed to reside. Education Code § 48206.3.
Residence When Hospitalized: Notwithstanding compulsory education requirements, a pupil with a temporary disability who is in a hospital or other residential health facility, excluding a state hospital, which is located outside of the school district in which the pupil’s parent resides, shall be deemed to have complied with the residency requirements for school attendance in the school district in which the hospital is located. It shall be the primary responsibility of the parent of a pupil with temporary disability to notify the school district in which the pupil is deemed to reside of the pupil’s presence in a qualifying hospital. Education Codes §§ 48207; 48208.
Residence Based on Parents Employment: Under certain conditions, a pupil may attend schools of the district within which one or more of the parents are employed. Contact the school district in which the parents are employed for further information. Education Code § 48204(b).
Attendance Areas: A pupil may attend a school in a district other than the pupil’s district of residence pursuant to an inter-district agreement. Each school district has adopted a policy(s) for inter-district and intra-district attendance. A copy of the application(s), the notice and appeals procedure is attached to this notice. Contact the school for further information. Education Codes §§ 46600; 48300 et seq.; 48204; 48980(h).